Everyday home food need not be mundane and boring.. the bottle gourd (doodhi) has been given a yummy twist with a bit of vegan cream.
- 2 cups ½ inch pieces of bottle gourd
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/ 2 tsp methi seeds
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 green chilli
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp cashew cream
- Rock salt to taste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Steam bottle gourd with sufficient water in a deep pan for 5-6 minutes.
- For tempering, heat a pan, roast mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal, methi seeds, dried red chilli, green chilli, asafoetida till fragrant.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Set aside onion adding salt till it starts to leave water, add this to another hot pan and roast till it starts to change the colour.
- Mix cashew cream with some water and set aside.
- Add tempering and cashew mixture and cook for 2 minutes.