Here’s my mom’s version of Makhani Dal. Wholesome, delicious and low in fat. Try it out to believe it. Who says you need to load up on fats to make something taste good?
Preparation time 1 hour
- ½ cup black urad dal whole (soaked overnight)
- Handful of small red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 -2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 -3 ripe red tomatoes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ big cardamom
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 whole black pepper
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 1tsp turmeric
- Rock salt to taste
- 1/3 cup cashew cream
- Drain the dal and kidney beans, and place in a pressure cooker. Add 4 cups of water. Add the ginger garlic paste, cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, pepper, cinnamon stick, turmeric and salt. Pressure cook for about 30 minutes.
- In the mean while blend the tomatoes in a dry grinder.
- Once the dal is cooked, add the tomato puree to the it and boil for another half an hour or so on low flame. Add water if required.
- Once the dal is done, let it cool a bit. Add 2-3 spoonfuls of the cashew cream to the dal to make it creamy. Use the remaining to garnish.