As a child, I loved the Dum Aloo my grand mom used to make. So this recipe is my attempt to get as close in taste as possible to my grandma’s version, while also keeping health in mind. This version is without oil, heavy masalas or dairy. Try it and let me know how you liked it.
- 4-5 Small size potatoes steamed and peeled.
- 2 onion coarsely ground (or grated)
- 1 tomato blended along with ½ inch ginger root and 4 garlic pods.
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp water melon seeds
- (both soaked over night and blended together coarsely)
- ¼ tsp Roasted cumin powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala coarsely ground
- ¼ tsp raw mango powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- In a wok, dry roast the onion (sprinkle some salt) on a low flame till it is golden brown. You will need to sprinkle a bit of water from time to time.
- Once golden brown add the poppy seeds, water melon seed mixture and let it cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato blend and cook another 2 minutes. Add all the masalas and potatoes. Cover the wok and let it cook for 5 min.
- Garnish with fresh coriander. If you like it to be creamier, add ¼ cup coconut milk at the end.