Yogurt of Dahi, is the one thing we Indians can’t seem to do without. Many people give up milk, but hang on to their bowl of dahi for its probiotic benefits.
But dahi made using dairy milk is equally harmful as the milk itself as it contains the hormones, pus cells, antibiotics, urea, and everything else contained in the milk.
Its so simple to make dairy free yogurt, and it is great for your GUT too (as it contains the probiotics).
We have gone with using peanuts for the basic version, assuming you might be coming some every day. Peanuts being a legume, are ok to have in slightly bigger quantities than nut.
Rice is used as a thickener, and can be avoided if you so choose.
- 2 tbsp whole brown rice, soaked in water for 8 hours
- 1 cup raw peanuts, soaked in water for 8 hours
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6-8 green chilli tops
- Discard the water used for soaking. Using fresh water, grind the raw rice and peanuts. Use only 2 cups of water initially. Strain.
- Add another 2 cups of water to the remaining pulp and grind again. If you like the milk to be thinner, you can repeat the process once more.
- Transfer the milk to a pan. Bring to boil on a low flame, continuously stirring. Now boil the peanut milk on a low flame. Once it comes to a boil, keep stirring and allow it to boil for 10 min or so till it thickens (this means the rice is cooked).
- Let the mixture cool to lukewarm temperature. Now it is ready to add the culture. Add the lemon juice and the green chilli tops to this. Mix well. Leave it covered, at room temperature, for about 8 hours (about 12-15 hours in colder climes).
Yoghurt is ready. For the next batch, use the culture from this batch of yoghurt. This can be stored in refrigerator for a week.
Note :- This yogurt will not taste the same as dairy yogurt. It needs to be flavoured to mask the peanut/rice taste.
Hence this is great for Raitas, Chaas, Dahi bada, Kadhi, biryani and other such uses!
Making Yogurt with other nuts:-
Use the same method as given above, using almonds or cashew nuts. You can omit using rice. There is also no need to strain the milk or boil it. Instead just heat it to lukewarm and add the chilli stems and lemon juice.
Scroll down for a delicious Mint Raita recipe 🙂
Vegan Mint Raita
- 2 cups non dairy yogurt
- Fresh mint leaves chopped
- Salt, pepper and lemon to taste
Take the yogurt. Whip it till smooth. Add the mint leaves, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve chilled.